Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Life Lesson: A Sibling Is Like a Corolla

A few weeks ago, I sold my beloved truck. It was a day I knew was coming for the last nine months. I knew that I was going to need a backseat. I later learned that no matter if you have strap locks that are guaranteed not to break, you are not allowed to put a carseat in the bed of a truck. As I was changing the oil and detailing the inside for the last time, I admit, I was a little sad.

I couldn’t help to think about all of the good times we’ve had together. That truck moved every single thing from our apartment into our house (Jenny’s Mazda helped, too). It has moved refrigerators, washers and dryers, sand, swing sets. One time the local police needed help breaking into a bank where a gunman was still inside. SWAT had not arrived yet, so I volunteered and plowed the truck through the brick wall and saved twelve people. Another time, Jenny and I passed a broken down tractor-trailer. The driver was standing by looking very sad. We asked if there was something we could do, but he said that the truck could not be fixed. He had been depending on the delivery money to keep his house and to feed his family. Jenny and I hooked the trailer to the back of the S10 and took a road trip to Bozeman, Montana. We sent the money to the driver, and didn’t even charge him for gas, because that’s the kind of folks we are.


We had already made arrangements to buy a 2003 Toyota Corolla S series from Jenny’s cousins. While I was sprucing up the truck, I was thinking, “The Corolla is a great car, and it’s going to try real hard, but it won’t be able to live up to what the truck could do and the potential the truck still has.” I can’t help to think that this must be the same thing my parents were thinking the night before I moved to Nashville five years ago. “Jess is a great daughter, and she tries real hard, but Jimmy will always be our favorite.”

The last paragraph was supposed to be humorous. In all seriousness, the Corolla is cool. I now have a gas gauge that works, air conditioning, power locks and windows, and a great sound system. We’ve had some warm afternoons in Nashville lately, and I love putting down all the windows, opening up the sunroof, and listening to good music. But most importantly, it has a backseat that allows me to take my daughter to daycare every morning. She basically falls asleep as soon as she’s in, but it’s still our time together. She enjoys listening to sports talk radio.

To answer the question on everyone’s mind, the first CD I listened to was Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga by Spoon. It is very good, and has three songs that will certainly live on in the Spoon lore, but I don’t like it as much as 2005’s Gimme Fiction.

And there’s one other thing the Corolla can do…

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy, you are one of a kind - and why we all love you! if you keep this up you could make your blog famous..its hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why you're our favorite

    ReplyDelete